Wednesday, July 8, 2009

THE REALITY BASKETBALL INTERVIEW SUPERSTITIONS

THE REALITY BASKETBALL INTERVIEW
A continuing series of interviews with basketball lovers from all walks of life.

Today's Interviews come from conversations with Superstitious Basketball Players and Fans.

REALITY BASKETBALL:  When you watch your favorite NBA team play, do you have any superstitions?

ARIKA B: I did not think that I did, then I got married to a basketball nut and noticed he would do odd things while watching a game. I started to notice that I was doing crazy things too. My stuff is not as elaborate as my husbands but they are clearly superstitious. I do stuff like: Wear the same flip-flops for each game, sit in the same spot when they my team is doing well (big Laker fan) move to another when they are not. My husband will wear his "Lakers are winning" shorts and if they are not playing well at half time he changes his shorts. He has a whole routine that includes making things even, so if he touches my right leg he has to touch my left leg... Of course this all borders the line of OCD. The weirdest thing is that at times all this stuff seems to work. I know my husband believes that because of his routines which he calls "giving the Lakers energy" the Lakers won the 2009 Championship. But who is to say it is not because I changed my seat through out the series.

JOHN M: Oh yea, I have a lot of superstitions. One of them is I have to eat the same terrible diet pudding every time right before my team plays. If they won the last game, I eat the same flavor. When they loose I switch flavors for the next game. 

TYLER G: When I learned years ago that one of Michael Jordan's superstitions was that he wore his North Carolina shorts under his Chicago Bulls uniform shorts for every game, I started doing the same thing every time I played pick up ball or watched a game. It became so crazy that I started to wear them under my suits for business meetings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment